I've MOVED! Check out my NEWEST Posts!

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Chicken Without Arsenic...It Works for Me

WFMW


WFMW

Did you know that many chicken farms feed an arsenic corn mix to their chickens? So when you think you're eating healthy at one of those fast food resturants by getting a grilled chicken sandwich, are you getting a stomach full of arsenic instead?

I've done some research and Tyson used to use a similar chicken feed, but they've taken the arsenic out. Of course, organic chicken is best, but it's expensive and with feeding a family of six I have to weigh my options with the cost. So when I shop for chicken, Tyson's is what I reach for. I like the individual frozen chicken, especially the pre-cooked grill chicken strips. I throw them in a salad or mix with pasta, make faijitas or serve them plain to the kids.

Chicken without Arsenic...it Works for me.

Check at Shannon's blog for more great ideas!

10 comments:

Mom2fur said...

I think you might be surprised where you find arsenic in nature. I guess it depends on how much is there, but frankly, if I can get it without, I'd prefer it that way. What on earth is the purpose of arsenic in feed, anyway? To keep bugs away? Oh, and now I have an image of two little old lady hens drinking tea and plotting murder. "Arsenic and Old Lace," you know...

Heather said...

We hae to eat organic (due to allergic reactions)and I have found that Tyson does cause less trouble for the kids than regular, though I have also found that there are several local farms that have organic though not the label (ecause of costs) AND that our local grocery store carries organic and uts the $1.00 off mark downs on them as well. I stock up on them when they get marked down and store them for when I need them.

Shannon said...

thanks for doing the homeowrk...i have always wondered....are farmers market here called sprouts....has fresh chicken with no "drugs" pumped in it for 1.50 a pound about once a month. So I get mine then and get plenty.....

Carol said...

It's apalling what is used to grow/process/feed our food. As consumers, we are woefully unaware.

Thanks for the tip!

Mama Duck said...

That's just scary! Have a great Wednesday - our WFMW tip is up as well!

Stephanie said...

Yikes! Seriously? Very scary. I should really read more about what I'm feeding to my family. I'm too trusting, I suppose.

Anonymous said...

Great! We are trying to eat more organic meats as well but, Man! It can be expensive. Thanks for the tip.

Mom2fur said...

Me, again. Thanks for visiting my blog! If I ever do figure out the lay/laid/lie thing, I'll post about it. It's still confusing! Oh, and I found out that one of the purposes of that arsenic is to kill intestinal parasites in the chicken. Lovely.

Overwhelmed! said...

I knew there was a reason I don't like chicken! Thanks for sharing this tip.

Thanks also for your comment on my WFMW (alternate use for a pot rack) post. I do appreciate you stopping by!

Ms. Kathleen said...

I had to laugh at your question. The list of food we can eat is VERY long, honestly! I am glad your heart checked out OK.

Thanks for the healthy tip on chicken. I do love chicken and it is nice to know I can still eat it. Frajitas by the way is a very healthy meal, especially if you use olive oil!

Thanks for a great post and thank you for your prayers!